Hiring managers are the professional individuals who conduct job applications whenever there are requests for accepting new employees in various positions. With this, managers do not only deal with the application forms from their applicants but also in setting and maintaining standards for who they shall consider as potential candidates. By obtaining the resumes of the applicants and a reference check form, the managers will be able to choose the right staff for each position who will contribute to the success of their companies.
A reference check form is used by managers, human resource personnel, and supervisors during the job application process to filter job applicants. The form will aid the user in checking whether the character references stated on an applicant’s resume or curriculum vitae are legit and actual people who are associated with the applicant’s employment history. Clarifying the background of the applicant and determining the applicant’s effectiveness with his previous jobs are two purposes of using this check form. Additionally, the form will also allow the managers or the users of the form to avoid hiring identity thieves and applicants who are not committed to meeting their regular work obligations for the company.
Applicant Reference Check Form
Candidate Selection Reference Check Form
College Position Reference Check Form
Dealer Reference Check Form
Employee Reference Check Form
What’s Inside a Reference Check Form?
Checking references can be a tricky and time-consuming task for employers; however, it serves as a precautionary measure to avoid hiring individuals who will soon be the cause of burden in the workplace. With the following sections, employers will be able to conduct efficient and purposeful reference checks to any job position.
This primary section should cater the personal information of the applicant which includes his full name, the position that he is applying for, his contact numbers, as well as his professional title if he has any. The individual names of the referees will also be needed to be stated in this section along with the identity of the person who is conducting the reference check.
With this section, the employer or the reference checker will have a script for him to have a formal flow in conducting the applicant reference checking procedure. The introduction will inform the other party or the outside company about the general information that they must provide to the employer along with the length or approximate time that the reference check will take to complete. Other parts of the introduction that the employer may include can be the details of where the answers of the reference check are allotted to be used such as for the purpose of an applicant evaluation and employee assessment.
This section is also known as a character reference questionnaire, which will mainly contain a number of questions about the applicant’s job history. The questions can range from the applicant’s ability to maintain a professional relationship with his colleagues, the capacity of the applicant to handle pressure in his job, as well as the specific dates of the applicant’s employment. The previous company’s performance evaluation for the applicant’s employment is also included as part of the questions to be asked by the employer to acquire a full distinction of the applicant from the other candidates for the job position.
The relativity of the applicant’s skills and manners for the job that he is applying will be highlighted and determined in this section. The employer may gather questions for a survey from the job qualifications posted by the company. The other party who will be answering and who will rate the applicant’s appropriateness for the job position can include a few descriptions and situations wherein the applicant’s skills served a great use from his previous employment.
The decision of whether the other party will consider to re-employ the applicant under their company and in the same job position will be indicated in this last section along with the list of reasons why. Additionally, comments and the contact information of the applicant’s previous company are also necessary for reaching out and inquiring about the employment status of the applicant whenever needed.
Employment Reference Check Form
Job Competencies Reference Check Form
Professional Staff Reference Check Form
Reference Check Form Sample
Reference Checking Consent Authorization Form
Tips for Reference Checking
Although hiring managers have been taught on how to deal with the applicant selection process, it is always essential that a few keynotes and tips will be remembered for assuring success. Below are some of the tips that hiring managers must keep in mind as they will begin the reference check:
- Inform the applicant. Almost every company has a protocol to undergo the claims of an applicant in an employment verification and reference check. However, hiring managers should also remind themselves that not every applicant is freely open to let other people investigate his background and achievements. With this, the managers must present a reference check consent form to the applicant as a tool that will inform him about the intention of the company in acquiring in-depth details about his previous job. The approval of the applicant should be accompanied with the applicant’s signature to certify and prove that the verification and investigation of the company have been authorized by the applicant. The form also shields the company from facing conflicts and other legal matters that are related to obtaining confidential information about the applicant’s background or history.
- Verify using other mediums. In this digital age, hiring managers should not limit their sources of conducting reference checks through phone calls and emailing companies to complete a job applicant’s history questionnaire survey. The range of online platforms that are used by many applicants nowadays should also be checked and reviewed by employers or hiring managers. By having this type of media verification and background check, the managers will know the habits of the applicant, which can either serve as his strengths in promoting the company globally or his weakness that can hinder him from producing quality output at work.
- Conduct the reference check early. Calling and gathering the reviews from the applicant’s previous companies must be done before any decision will be made to assure that regrets will not be present upon welcoming the applicant as part of the company. Most companies do the reference check when the final candidates have been chosen to aid in suggesting and distinguishing the candidate’s skills from each other. To acquire further assessments, the applicant’s former subordinates, colleagues, peers, and human resource personnel can be considered for the reference check.
- Focus on job-related specifications. Hiring managers should limit their questions to those that are related to the job position that the applicant is aiming to be hired by the company. Some companies observe the confidentiality of attendance issues of the applicant as well as the task description of the applicant’s job position, which is why hiring managers should ask beforehand about the limitations of the company in sharing personal information for the reference check.
- Allow time for the other party to decipher the questions. When asking the other company about the applicant, hiring managers should avoid speaking harshly and indicate that they are in a hurry for gathering the internal reviews. This will only open a glitch for the applicant’s previous company to state general answers and leave details about the applicant. Though scripts may be helpful as a pattern for where the questions are heading, it is effective that hiring managers will allow the other company to explain their thoughts and communicate freely throughout the reference checking process.
Reference Check Questionnaire Form
Blank Reference Check Form
Staff Reference Checking Form
Telephone Reference Check Form
Volunteer Applicant Reference Check Form
Basic Reference Check Form
Benefits of Using Reference Check Forms
The advantages or benefits that a company can acquire from using a reference check form are numerous. One of the known benefits is that the form allows the hiring manager to record the reviews of the previous company about the applicant’s skills set and achievements. These reviews will then become tools for determining the appropriate role for the applicant in the current company appraisal that he aims to be part of. Another benefit is the questionnaire that is laid out to serve as an instrument for the hiring manager to conduct a relevant reference check to every company that the applicant stated on his resume and job application form. The questionnaire will limit the dead-air silence between both companies who are communicating for the applicant’s reference check.
Easing up the length of the selection process when the final candidates are the few applicants left for choosing who to hire is another benefit that a hiring manager and a company will obtain with the usage of the reference check form. This is due to the reviews of the outside companies along with the hiring manager’s comments that are stated in each section of the form. The managers of the company can then compare each reference check form of the final candidates to allow them in arriving at choosing the right applicant for the position.
Lastly, the form will also be useful for doing employee evaluations and determine if the applicant has been showing improvements from the reviews that his previous company provided. If the applicant showed excellent skills and manners in the company, he can be included as one of the individuals who will receive an employee appraisal or a promotion to award and acknowledge his achievements.
FREE 5+ Applicant Appraisal Forms in MS Word | PDF | Excel
FREE 4+ Candidate Selection Forms in PDF | Excel | MS Word
FREE 6+ Dual Employment Request Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 11+ Direct Deposit Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 9+ Tuition Waiver Request Forms in PDF | MS Word
FREE 7+ Employee Separation Clearance Forms in PDF | Excel
FREE 11+ Employee Election Forms in PDF | MS Word
FREE 4+ Merit Increase Recommendation Forms in PDF | MS Word
FREE 9+ Direct Deposit Revocation Forms in PDF | MS Word
FREE 11+ Change of Address Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 12+ Authorization Release Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 8+ Reclassification Request Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 7+ Employee Bio-Data Forms in PDF | MS Word
FREE 5+ Job Analysis Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel
FREE 11+ Employee Absence Forms in PDF | MS Word | Excel