The medical industry, just like any other industry, have to protect the interests of their companies and ensure their continuation by avoiding legal or financial liabilities in the future. We live in a world of lawsuits and compliance to laws, so it is important for every medical company that every task or procedure they do is backed with a document that shows compliance to mandated laws that protect the welfare of their patients.
That being said, Medical Release Forms are used prior to certain tasks or procedures that a medical care facility or organization can do. If you need such forms, you may download the ones we have available on this page. These samples are easy to download and comprehend, and you are sure to find one that fits the needs of your organization.
Minor Medical Release Forms
Minor Child Medical Release
Emergency Minor Participant and Medical Release
Minor Release of Liability
Sports Medical Release Forms
Youth Sports Medical Information and Release
Club Sports Medical Information and Release
Sports Camp Medical Form
Dental Medical Release Forms
Sample Dental Release Form
Patient Request for Release of Dental Record
The Definition of a Medical Release Form
A Medical Release Form is basically a Release Form that is used for medical purposes. To further understand this, a Release Form should be clearly defined. We already know that a Release Form is used to protect a company or organization from any legal or financial liabilities in the future, but what does this mean exactly?
First, it is important to note that there are two parties involved in a Release Form. One is the releasee, which is the company being released from any future legal liability, and the other is the releasor, which is the one releasing the releasee from any future legal liabilities. So basically, a Release Form states that the releasor releases all claims or rights to sue the releasee, thereby protecting the latter from any legal or financial responsibilities.
The Common Users of a Medical Release Form
- Every institution in the medical industry, be it a hospital or a small medical clinic, uses Medical Release Forms in their daily dealings, such as releasing confidential patient health information and posting photos or videos of patients for testimonial and marketing purposes. Aside from medical institutions, there are other users of Medical Release Forms.
- Educational institutions also use Medical Release Forms to gain consent to facilitate the medical treatment of a minor student in the event of a medical emergency. These can be filled out at the start of a school year when the student is new to the school or university, or prior to events or activities that would require overnight stay, like camping. This can be filled out along with Student Information Forms during enrollment.
- Aside from medical and educational institutions, there are also other organizations that use Medical Release Forms prior to holding certain events and activities, especially those that involves the participation of minors or underage children.
A few examples are sports organizations and youth organizations. They need Medical Release Forms for the same reason that educational institutions do – to facilitate the medical treatment of a minor in the event of a medical emergency.
Types of Medical Release Forms
There are mainly three types of Medical Release Forms presented on this article: Minor Medical Release Forms, Medical Records Release Forms, and Medical Photo Release Forms.
Minor Medical Release Forms
A Minor Medical Release Form is the type of Medical Release Form used by educational institutions and other organizations to gain consent to facilitate the medical treatment of a minor in the absence of his or her parent or legal guardian. The releasee would first have to call the listed contact details of the parent or legal guardian, and if all numbers cannot be reached, the Minor Medical Release Form gives approval for the releasee to facilitate the medical treatment of the minor.
You may also see our samples of Child Medical Consent Forms, which are basically the same thing as Minor Medical Release Forms.
Student Medical Release Forms
Student Trip Release
Student Medical Release Form in PDF
Student Participant Medical Release
Youth Medical Release Forms
Baptist Children/Youth Medical Release
Youth Sports Medical Release
Youth Camp Medical Information
Medical Authorisation Release Forms
Authorisation for Release of Medical Record Information
Authorisation to Release Copies of Medical Record
Purposes of a Minor Medical Release Form
Aside from obtaining consent from the parents or legal guardians of a minor to facilitate his medical treatment during emergencies, there are other information on a Minor Medical Release Form that are essential to the health and well-being of the child in question.
One purpose of a Minor Medical Release Form is to provide information that will aid in determining the course of his medical treatment. Such information includes the child’s medical and family history, a list of immunizations administered, any known allergies to medication and food, any medication currently taken, and any present medical condition. This information can also be found on Patient Information Forms that are filled out mostly by new visitors in a hospital or clinic.
Without knowing these things, it would be hard for a doctor or physician to determine the medical treatment appropriate for the child. He could be administering medication that might trigger an allergy or underlying medical condition, and this could be very dangerous.
Another purpose of a Minor Medical Release Form is to record the child’s health insurance information, if any, and the parent’s preferred medical care facility and/or physician to take the child to. The preferred medical facility is ideal because they have the child’s medical records on file, but if the medical need is urgent, the nearest medical care facility is a more favorable option. The organization has to decide promptly, and put the health and welfare of the child first.
Lastly, a Minor Medical Release Form can be used to gain consent for the releasee to provide a child or minor with over-the-counter drugs to alleviate pain and other minor ailments that occurs during the course of an event or activity. You may also see our Patient Release Forms for other types of Release Forms used in the medical setting.
Medical Records Release Forms
These are forms used in compliance with the HIPAA or Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. This is why these forms are also referred to as HIPAA Release Forms. The HIPAA has a privacy rule that inhibits any medical institution dealing with sensitive patient health information from divulging or releasing those information to other parties, unless authorized by a signed Medical Records Release Form.
These forms are used to protect the privacy of patients and to protect medical care facilities from future legal liabilities, although there are times when a medical care facility can release patient health information without the consent of the patient, especially in situations wherein the safety of the public could be compromised.
Medical Treatment Release Forms
Parental Consent/Medical Treatment Release
Camp Medical Treatment Release
Emergency Medical Treatment Release
Medical Photo Release Form
Patient Photograph Release
Medical Records Release Forms
Blank Medical Records Release
Medical Records Release/Request
Patient Medical Records Release
Sample Medical Records Release
Medical Work Release Form
General Medical Release of Information Authorization Form
Common Purposes of Medical Records Release Forms
- Employment: Medical Records Release Forms are used for various employment purposes. In recruitment, it is necessary for applicants for a certain position to undergo a physical exam for to check if they are fit enough for the position. During this process, the company clinic has to have access to the exam results to assess if the applicant qualifies for the job.Aside from recruitment, Medical Records Release Forms are also important in accessing records of physical exam results stated on Physical Examination Forms. These are used for recording purposes and for releasing funds for sick leaves and workers’ benefits for accidents occurring in the workplace.
- Health Insurance: Anyone submitting a health insurance claim to his health insurance provider would need to submit supporting documents containing sensitive patient health information to substantiate his claim. These documents are submitted along with a Health Insurance Claim Form when filing a claim, and will serve as one of the basis for the approval or denial of a claim.
- Continuation of Treatment: If a patient is referred or transferred to another hospital or clinic, his medical history should also be transferred or provided to the receiving facility for the continuation of his medical treatment. This will also give the receiving facility some insight on the medical condition of the patient so that they can come up with better ways to treat the patient if he is not responding positively to current medication.
- Legal: If a patient decides to file a case against an establishment or individual for personal injuries resulting from an accident in the workplace or somewhere else, a Medical Records Release Form has to be filled out to provide access to the patient’s medical records.
The information on the patient’s medical records will be used for as a basis for the calculation of the settlement amount. Aside from personal injury cases, it can also be used for medical malpractice cases, wherein the procedures and treatment provided to the patient was subpar, thereby causing the patient’s condition to get worse.
- Research: Medical studies are necessary for the development of medicines and prevention of diseases, and for such research endeavors, the medical records of patients have to be accessed for statistical and experimental purposes. For example, statistics and demographics can be used in determining the susceptibility of certain age groups to certain types of diseases.
Medical Photo Release Forms
There are times when the photos and/or videos of a patient is put up on a hospital or clinic’s website for testimonial and marketing reasons. Without a signed Medical Photo Release Form, the patient can sue the hospital or clinic for violating his privacy. But with a signed Medical Photo Release Form, the patient provides consent for such usage of his image. It also protects the hospital or clinic from any legal liabilities for any unauthorized use of a third party user who visits the website and downloads the images in question.
Sample HIPAA Release Form - 10+ Free Documents in PDF
Patient Release Form Template
21+ Sample Emergency Release Forms
Sample Emergency Release Forms - 8+ Free Documents in PDF
Release of Medical Information Form - 7+ Free Documents in Word ...
Sample Release Forms
Sample Release Forms in Doc
11+ Sample Lien Release Forms Sample Forms
11+ Sample Release Forms
Free Release Forms
Sample General Release Form - 10+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
Sample Hospital Release Forms - 8+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
11+ Sample HIPAA Forms
21+ Emergency Release Form Example
15+ Sample Medical Waiver Forms Sample Forms