If you have been paying attention to how movies and literature depict the act of trial by the court of law, then you may have noticed two things: justice should be blind, and the justice system usually follows with statements from the witnesses that are used as evidence. These statements are usually labeled as a contingent statement in which the statements of a low credibility witness is often ignored till further proof is provided.
One thing the movies don’t show is that writing a witness statement usually requires the witness to state the truth and that any alterations to the statements, later on, will be treated as a false statement and will often lead to a penalty to the witness instead.
Accident Witness Statement
Accident Investigation Witness
Police Witness Statement
What is a Witness Statement Form?
A witness is a person who has witnessed or seen a relevant piece of information to a case. A statement is the written record of a person’s announcement. So, a witness statement form is a type of form used to list down the statement of a witness on a piece of paper, which will require them to affix their signature and stick to the sworn statement.
A witness statement form is actually the general name for a statement form since a statement can come from any source, one example of which, are the Employee Statement Forms.
How to Write a Witness Statement Form?
Writing a witness statement form is just like filling up any other form. However, there is a certain format that you the witness will need to follow when writing it. Follow the steps below:
- As with any legal document, you must first begin with writing your name, contacts and both your work and home address.
- List down the incident that you have just witnessed.
- Then you will begin stating the date and time the incident you have witnessed has occurred.
- Then you list down the incident as you have seen it, list down every detail as clearly and as accurate as you can. Take note that you can not edit your statement anymore once it is finished.
- Just like any other legal document once you finish writing affix your signature. Note that whatever information you have written above will be final and will no longer be able to be edited in any way, similar to Financial Statement Forms in terms of submitting it.
Employee Witness Statement
Blank Witness Statement
Fire Witness Statement Forms
Fire Investigation Witness
Generic Witness Statement
Insurance Witness Statement
Injury Witness Statement
What Are the Uses of a Witness Statement?
A witness statement has ever just one true purpose, and that is to share information to a more responsible group of individuals in the hopes that the information shared will have some form of impact to the purpose of sharing the information. In most cases, a witness statement is typically used as a means of evidence against a certain individual or group.
This is used because witness statements are at times the best source of evidence against another person they typically contain information that can make or break a case. However, there are times where the witnesses themselves are the ones being dishonest about their statement and due to this a witness statement is typically considered as a claim until evidence can prove its value.
Statement forms, or also known as Legal Statement Forms are not just limited to the witnesses they are also allowed to be used by members of organizations. Such as the employees of a company will issue an income statement using an Income Statement Form to the government so as to prove the annual income of the company.
Another would be when a person wishes to state their claim to a certain piece of property or rights then they will use a Statement of Claim Form in order to express that claim.
Printable Witness Statement
Student Witness Statement Form
Voluntary Witness Statement
Victim Witness Statement
Witness Statement Affidavit
What are the Contents of a Witness Statement?
Just like any other type of legal documents, there have to be some specific contents in the witness statement. This is to ensure that the document is correct and is ready to be used as evidence. These specific contents being:
- Stating the witnesses name and basic information and contacts. The purpose of stating the name and information of the witness is not to be shared to the public but rather to be used as a means of contacting the witness in case there are certain issues with their statement.
- The complete statement of the incident the witness have seen. This is the body of the document and must contain any and all details the witness is capable of recalling at the time of the incident. When writing a witness statement just think of it as a Personal Statement Form from yourself to the court.
- Writing the phrase This statement is true to the best of my knowledge” at the end of your statement. This should be written so that in case the witness has said something incorrect in the statement they will not be held completely liable.
- Affixing your signature. This is to confirm that you have indeed approved that the statement you have written is true and is no longer subject to change.
Why Should the Witness Statement be Taken as Soon as Possible?
As we all know, we tend to forget about things the more time passes and this can be prove disadvantageous when it comes to making a witness statement. Therefore, the best time to take a witness statement would be as soon as the witness is able to do so.
This is to ensure that the information about the incident is as accurate as possible and that the facts can be sorted out easily. Another reason why it should be taken as soon as possible is that the possibility of the current condition of the witness may hinder their ability to remember the incident properly.
Another could be that the witness is underage or is thought to have a disability of the mind in which the statement will still be taken and the evidence will try to support the claim of the witness.
A witness statement form behaves just like any other statement form, such as a Student Statement Form where the purpose is to gain information fro an individual about a certain incident.
Student Witness Statement
Office Witness Statement
Service Witness Statement
Paternity Witness Statement Form
Incident Witness Statement
Formal Witness Statement Form
Guidelines for making a witness statement
Making a witness statement or a Witness Affidavit Form can be stressful due to the fact that the statement must be completely true otherwise the person writing it will be penalized for the false statement. Here are some tips and guidelines you should follow whenever you are writing your own witness statement:
- Stick to the facts. Avoid adding unnecessary descriptions about the incident since this will only make your statements seem less fact and more fiction.
- When you don’t know the format of making a witness statement don’t be afraid to use a Printable Statement Form as a template to make your witness statements.
- Always state that the data written is what you have written to the best of your memories.
Sample Statement of Information Form - 9+ Free Documents in PDF
Sample Financial Statement Form - 10+ Free Documents in PDF
Affidavit Forms in PDF
39 General Affidavit Forms in PDF
Temporary Guardianship Form Samples - 10+ Free Documents in ...
Statement of Claim Forms - 9+ Free Documents in PDF
Affidavit Forms - 112+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
7+ Sworn Statement Form Samples – Free Sample, Example Format
Sample Profit and Loss Statement Form - 8+ Free Documents in ...
Sample Income Statement Form - 9+ Free Documents in PDF, Xls
Sample Affidavit Forms in Doc - 20+ Free Documents in Word
8+ Sample Profit and Loss Statement Forms
9+ Sample Profit and Loss Forms
Sample General Affidavit Form - 10+ Free Documents in PDF
Sample Contractor Affidavit Forms - 7+ Free Documents in Word, PDF