It is people’s nature to express gratitude towards the person who helped them big time, especially when they open opportunities for us. Some people recommend us jobs, events, scholarships, and many more that surely benefits us. Research says that saying thank you to people improves our mood, health, and well-being. That is why we tend to show our gratefulness in different ways—one is creating thank-you letters. These written letters are suitable for both professional and personal use. In this article, we will show you tips and things to remember when creating thank-you for recommendation letters.
What is a Thank You Letter for Recommendation?
These thank you letters are useful when you are expressing how grateful you are for any recommendation and reference a person gave you. The recipients of these letters usually have professional relationships with the writer. Most of these letters are for appreciating suggestions about jobs, events, universities, and other matters. But a thank you message for reference can also be sent to people who are close to the sender.
5+ Thank You Letters for Recommendation
Convey your heartfelt gratitude to those people with personalized thank-you letters for recommendations! To make things easy for you, we listed a few sample letters suitable for purposes such as yours. These thank-you for recommendation letters are all downloadable in either PDF or DOC file formats. Get started on your letter now!
1. General Recommendation Thank You Letter
2. Sample Thank You Letter
3. Blank Recommendation Thank You Letter
4. Simple Thank You Letter
5. Thank You Letter Examples
6. Thank You Letter for Reference and Recommendation
Types of Thank You Letter for Recommendation
There are different types of thank-you letters for recommendations. Here are a few you can use as a reference when writing your very own.
1. Job Recommendation Thank-You Letter: These thank-you letters are useful when you are thanking a person for offering you a job opportunity. It also gives you the chance to inform the recommendation provider that the same suggested employer hired you. Through the letter, the recipient will be immensely happy to know that the effort they made had great results.
2. School Recommendation Thank-You Letter: Suggesting prestigious schools for students to apply is not unusual. This letter helps you express your gratitude towards the person for a helpful recommendation. These thank-you notes are usually informal since most people who recommend schools to students have close relationships with the sender. But formally writing this type of letter is also appreciated.
3. Event Recommendation Thank-You Letter: Acknowledging the person who recommended you great activities can make them feel appreciated. Through a thank-you letter, you can inform the reference provider about your experience with the event and how it helped you. This acknowledgment letter is suitable for any recommended event—seminars, conferences, shows, recitals, concerts, etc.
4. Email Reference Thank-You Letter: With today’s technology, emailing thank you letters are no longer foreign. If you don’t have time to write thank-you letters or lack of stationery, you can also send them through email. An email thank-you letter works like a handwritten and printable letter. Still, it saves you the materials and time in sending them personally. It is up to you to include your contact details to keep in touch with the letter recipient.
How to Write a Thank You Letter for Recommendation
Recent research on Undervaluing Gratitude published in the journal Psychological Science suggests that writing thank-you letters to people we are grateful for always improves not only our mood but as well as our general well-being and mental health. That is why, even through letters, you can already show how you appreciate these recommendation providers. Here are a few steps to guide you on how to create thank-you letters effectively.
Step 1: Know Where to Address the Letter
Just like any thank you letter, you must know whom to address the letter. Placing accurate details of your recipient in the address will prevent your thank-you letters from getting lost. Your salutation comes after your letter address. You can use “Greetings…” or “Dear Mr./Mrs.” as your salutation. It depends on how you want to sound in your letter.
Step 2: Express your Gratitude in the Content
The highlight of your thank-you note is your content. The body is where you will express your gratitude to your recipient. Make sure you clearly state the reason you are saying thank you. Specifying your intentions will help your reader understand your letter. For example, you are acknowledging your recipient for a job recommendation. You must clearly state how helpful the suggestion is to you. Don’t forget to place your name in the closing remarks to let the reader know who the sender is. You can use simple closing marks like “Yours truly” or “Sincerely.”
Step 3: Keep it Short and Maintain a Polite Tone
Write your thank-you notes short and direct. This way, your reader could easily read and understand your letters well. Your recipient may have a tight schedule that hinders them from reading lengthy letters. Bear in mind that you are acknowledging someone who has helped you in some ways. Keeping a polite tone while writing your thank-you letters will make your message sound lighthearted and grateful.
Step 4: Choose a Clean Format
There are different formats you can use for your letter. Make sure you write your thank-you letters in an organized manner. For your convenience, you can also use sample letter templates meant for sending appreciation for people who gave you recommendations. You can download one that suits your preferences best.
Step 5: Send the Letter as Soon as Possible
After you have organized your letter, you can either handwrite or print it on high-quality paper. The quality of your material will make your thank-you letter look more professional and presentable. Send your thank-you notes as soon as possible. You can send your thank-you message through email or give it personally.
FREE 8+ Sample Job Offer Letters in PDF WORD
FREE 6+ Sample Personal Reference Letters in WORD PDF
8+ Graduate School Recommendation Letters PDF DOC
FREE 7+ Job Offer Letter Samples in WORD PDF
5+ Internship Recommendation Letter - PDF
FREE 5+ Tips for Writing a Resume Cover Letter in PDF DOC
7+ Teacher Resignation Letters - PDF
FREE 9+ Letter of Resignation Sample
6+ Free Resignation Letter Samples - PDF, DOC
FREE 8+ Cover Letter Examples for Teachers in PDF WORD
FREE 8+ Resignation Letter Samples
FREE 9+ Sample Letter of Resignation in DOC PDF
FREE 7+ Sample Formal Letter Format
6+ Scholarship Letter of Recommendation - PDF
FREE 6+ Sample Farewell Letters to Colleagues in WORD PDF