Did your name recently change due to a marriage, divorce, or some other reason? Then it is imperative that you have your Social Security card updated to reflect your current name. Your Social Security number may be the most important numbers in your life. Information on your lifetime earnings and the number of years you have worked are kept track of using your Social Security number. You also need it to get a job and avail of Social Security benefits and other government services. You may also see our other Social Security Forms if you need any.
Social Security Card Name Change Form
Social Security Marriage Name Change Form
Social Security Last Name Change Form
Social Security Administration Name Change Form
Social Security Office Name Change Form
Requirements for a Social Security Name Change
Your Social Security number is a target for identity theft, which is why it is very important to keep it secure, and that any information on your Social Security card has to be updated promptly when necessary. Here are the requirements you would need to update your name:
- Marriage document, divorce decree, court order for a name change, or certificate of Naturalization showing your new name, whichever one is applicable
- Filled out Social Security Name Change Application Form
- Proof of identity
If the SSA thinks that the proof of name change is not sufficient, or if your name change occurred more than two years ago, you will be required to provide proof of identity. For your proof of identity, an expired identity document with your old name may be accepted, as well as an unexpired identity document with your new name on it. You may also check our Social Security Application Forms for more samples of SSA forms.
What Happens if You Don’t Update Your Name?
- This can cause a delay in your tax refund, since your Social Security number is used for tax returns.
- This can also cause incorrect wage information to be posted on your Social Security record, which can affect the amount of your future Social Security benefits.
Social Security Name Change Application Form
Social Security Divorce Name Change Form
Social Security Name Change Printable Form
Social Security Name Change Request Form
Types of Social Security Name Change Forms
- Social Security Marriage Name Change Form: This is for updating your name due to marriage.
- Social Security Divorce Name Change Form: This is used when your name change is due to a divorce.
- Social Security Office Name Change Form: This is used to notify your employer of the Social Security name change, or with any other changes like address.
It is important that once your name on your Social Security card has been changed, your employer should be notified as well, because they are the ones who will post your wages in your record. Once you have complied with the necessary requirements, the SSA will issue you a new Social Security card with your new name on it, but your Social Security number will remain the same. You may also see our Social Security Disability Forms for applying for such benefits.
Sample Income Statement form - 14+ Free documents in word, PDF
Sample Travel Consent Form - 8+ Free Documents in PDF
Sample Maintenance Request Form - 7+ Free Documents in Word ...
8+ Sample Employee Status Change Forms Sample Forms
Self Evaluation Form Sample - 9+ Free Documents in PDF, Doc
Sample Conference Feedback Forms - 9+ Free Documents in Word ...
Sample Job Offer Acceptance Letter - 8+ Free Documents in Doc
26+ Sample Student Feedback Forms
9+ Lease Renewal Form Samples
Sample Event Evaluation Forms - 13+ Free Documents in PDF, Doc
Sample Evaluation Forms - 25+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
Travel Request Form Samples - 8+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
Sample Car Sale Contract Forms - 8+ Free Documents in PDF, Doc
Sample Feedback Form Example - 10+ Free documents in Word, PDF
7+ Patient Feedback Form Samples - Free Sample, Example Format ...