A Power of Attorney is a legal document that allows an individual to appoint someone else to act on his behalf when he is unable to do so. Some examples are when the person becomes psychologically incapable to make decisions on his own, or if he does not have enough time to manage his business and would need someone to help him. The person doing the appointing is called the principal, and the person being appointed is called the agent. There are various types of Power of Attorney Forms depending on their use, effectivity, and scope and limitations. You may check out our samples below to get an idea of what a Power of Attorney Form should look like.
Blank Durable Power of Attorney Form
Blank Medical Power of Attorney Form
Blank General Power of Attorney Form
Blank Printable Power of Attorney Form
Free Blank Power of Attorney Form
Types of Power of Attorney Forms
- A Power of Attorney Form can either be general or limited, depending on its limitation. General Power of Attorney Forms provide a broader scope and allows the agent to assume the powers the principal has, while a Limited or Special Power of Attorney only allows the agent to perform the tasks specified in the form.
- A Power of Attorney Form can either be durable or springing, depending on its effectivity. A Durable Power of Attorney is effective even after the principal becomes mentally incompetent, and only expires when the principal passes away or if he revokes it. A Springing Power of Attorney is like the Durable Power of Attorney, but it cannot be effective until the principal becomes mentally incompetent or incapacitated. Such is the case with a Healthcare Power of Attorney.
- A Power of Attorney Form can also either be financial or medical, depending on its use. A Financial Power of Attorney is used to appoint someone to make financial decisions for you. This can either be general or limited, and durable or springing, depending on its purpose. A Medical or Healthcare Power of Attorney allows the agent to make decisions for the medical treatment of the principal the moment he becomes incapacitated and unable to communicate his wishes. Because an agent can never step in to make medical decisions for the principal unless he becomes incapacitated, a Medical Power of Attorney is springing by default.
Blank Financial Power of Attorney Form
Blank Health Care Power of Attorney Form
Blank Military General Power of Attorney Form
Blank Revocation of Power of Attorney Form
Legal Requirements for a Power of Attorney Form
- Competent Principal: In order for a Power of Attorney to be legally binding, the principal has to sign it. Beyond that, he would also have to be legally competent, meaning that he is over 18 years of age, and he should be of sound mind, meaning that he understands what a Power of Attorney is for and what it can do. He should also have signed the form on his own volition and not due to undue pressure from anyone.
- Witnesses: Many states require you to sign your Power of Attorney Form in the presence of at least two witnesses who are unrelated to you and are not the appointed persons or agents. You may also have it notarized by a notary public. Also, in some states, you are required to have your Power of Attorney recorded with your county recorder’s office.
Before drafting a Power of Attorney Form, it would be best to consult with your lawyer so that you can draft such a form that would address your every need and purpose. You may also see our Free Power of Attorney Forms for more samples.
10+ Sample Power of Attorney Forms
Special Power of Attorney Form - 7+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
Power of Attorney Forms in PDF
Sample Limited Power of Attorney Form - 10+ Free Documents in ...
Sample Power of Attorney Forms - 8+ Free Documents in PDF
8+ Sample PA Power of Attorney Forms
Sample General Power of Attorney - 11+ Free Documents in PDF, Doc
30+ Free Power of Attorney Forms
Power of Attorney Document - 10+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
7+ Specific Power of Attorney Samples
Sample Will Form - 10+ Free Documents in PDF
Sample Free Will Form - 9+ Free Documents in PDF
Blank Affidavit Form Samples - 19+ Free Documents in Word, PDF
8+ Sample Blank Job Application Forms
Sample Blank Invoice Form - 8+ Free Documents in Word, PDF